Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why Apple hates Flash Apps

It should have dawned on me earlier, but if you look at how Adobe Air applications are written, it is very similar to the way Apple builds applications with Objective-C.  The two environments are conceptually a lot closer to each other than, say, Apple and Microsoft C# or Apple and Java.

Both Apple's and Adobe's environments make it easy to add special graphical effects to your application, and both are really good at making much more immersive applications than you can make in other development environments.  At the same time, both have different looks to them -- you can recognize an AIR app very easily in comparison to a native iPhone app.  Much like you can tell a Java app from a native one on any platform.

If I were Apple, I would dislike AIR apps for a couple reasons.  One, I'd be unhappy about Adobe bringing the kind of capabilities to all platforms that had been exclusively Apple's.  Second, I wouldn't want people getting used to the AIR look and feel on my platforms instead of my native one.

If AIR had produced completely native looking apps on the iPhone, I don't think there'd be half the problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment